Last changed: 12 November 2018
English Today School of English (hereinafter referred to as English Today) is the trading name of Learn English Today Limited, registered in England as company number 09605657. All references to English Today shall be construed as applying to Learn English Today Limited.
English Today is committed to protecting and respecting your privacy. This policy informs you of how any personal data that you give to us will be processed by us in order to be compliant with 2018 GDPR legislation. Legislation in the UK is compliant with the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and implemented by the UK Data Protection Act 2018.
This policy applies to our website, application processes for students and staff, and our procedures. Please read the following carefully to understand how we treat your personal data.
We keep certain information when you apply to our school. We understand the importance of keeping your personal information secure and letting you know how we will use it. We do not currently collect data from you when you visit our website, but we may do so in the future.
The Data Controller is The Director, Learn English Today Limited.
- Registered Address: Learn English Today Limited, 30-34 North Street, Hailsham, East Sussex, BN27 1DW,
- Registered in England and Wales as Company Number: 09605657
- Contact email: email@example.com
Under the GDPR, there are eight data protection principles. Personal data must be processed following these principles so that the data are:
- Fairly and lawfully processed.
- Processed for limited purposes.
- Adequate, relevant and not excessive.
- Not kept for longer than is necessary.
- Processed in line with your rights.
- Not transferred to other countries without adequate protection.
We aim to follow these principles.
INFORMATION WE MAY COLLECT FROM YOU
We may collect and process the following data about you, you may supply this personally or we may collect this information from anyone acting your behalf, such as parents, schools, government sponsors, educational agents or employers. Your consent is the legal basis for us collecting this information.
- Information that you provide by filling in our online application forms. This includes information provided at the time of registering to use our site, subscribing to newsletters, requesting information or applying to study or work with us.
- Information that you provide by completing any paper application form or information request (including medical information) when applying to study or work with us. Including copies of written or printed documents you supply to support your application.
- Information you supply by using email, written correspondence or verbally.
- Information supplied by a third party and relevant to you such as your educational references, exam results, sponsorship details and English test results.
- If you contact us, we may keep a record of that correspondence.
- We may also ask you to complete surveys that we use for research purposes, although you do not have to respond to them.
WHAT WE USE YOUR INFORMATION FOR
Any of the information we collect from you may be used in one of the following ways:
- To enable us to administer arrangements for your course, accommodation, transportation, meals etc.
- To personalize your experience (your information helps us to respond better to your individual needs).
- To improve our school (we continually strive to improve our language programmes based on the information and feedback we receive from you).
- To complete financial transactions.
- Your information, whether public or private, will not be sold, exchanged, transferred, or given to any other company for any reason whatsoever, without your consent, other than for the express purpose of enrolling you on one of our language programmes, personalizing your experience (course, social programme, accommodation) or officially promoting English Today.
- To administer our health & safety records.
- To be able to act appropriately in cases of emergencies.
HOW LONG WE KEEP YOUR INFORMATION
We keep data for the minimum amount of time necessary for it to be of use and regularly review how long we keep specific data. We keep all information upon application and while you are studying, or working, with us. We delete non-essential student information within 3 years of you giving us that information or of leaving the school, whichever is later. Financial information is kept for 7 years.
WHERE WE STORE AND USE YOUR PERSONAL DATA
The data that we collect from you will be primarily stored on our database hosted on the network of Culford School, who host and support our organisation, and on paper files securely kept on our school premises. We are contracted to comply with all aspects of Culford School data-protection and privacy policies, which can be found at http://www.culford.co.uk/Privacy-Policy.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to our site; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access and keep your information secure.
DISCLOSURE OF YOUR INFORMATION
We will disclose your personal information to third parties (other people) as little as possible, but may do so:
- If we are under a duty to disclose or share your personal data in order to comply with any legal obligation to do so. This includes exchanging information with national authorities such as, but not limited to, our government’s UK Visas and Immigration department and the Police.
- If we are required to share your personal data with companies and organisations for the purposes of regulatory, or inspection, compliance or fraud protection.
- If you study with us and apply via an educational agent this information will be kept by them and disclosed to us. We will only disclose data to your agent with your permission.
- If you are sponsored by a government or employer we will share personal data such as academic results or attendance as required by your sponsorship.
- In the event of a medical emergency we will disclose your data to the appropriate medical authorities.
- If you book an airport transfer we will pass the required information on to the transport providers.
- If you book guardianship we will pass the required information to the guardianship company.
Unless subject to an exemption under GDPR you have the following rights with respect to your personal data:
- The right to request a copy of your personal data which English Today holds about you;
- The right to request that English Today corrects any personal data if it is found to be inaccurate or out of date;
- The right to request your personal data is erased:
- if you think it’s no longer necessary for us to hold your information;
- if you don’t think we have any legitimate grounds for processing it;
- if you think we’re using your personal information unlawfully; or
- if you think we should delete your personal information because the law requires us to do so.
- The right to withdraw your consent to data processing at any time;
- The right to request that the data controller provides the data subject with his/her personal data and where possible, to transmit that data directly to another data controller, (known as the right to data portability);
- The right, where there is a dispute in relation to the accuracy or processing of your personal data, to request a restriction is placed on further processing;
- The right to object to the processing of personal data, (where applicable), unless required for legitimate or legal reasons;
- The right to lodge a complaint with the Data Protection Commissioner.
- Working premises address:
- English Today School of English
- c/o Culford School
- The Street, Culford, Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk, IP28 6TX, UK
- Telephone: ++44 (0)1284 385516
Currently, this website does not collect Personal Data from its Users nor does it place cookies on your system. We may amend this policy at any time. If we do so, we will amend this policy notice and issue an appropriate warning to users.
MAKING A COMPLAINT
If you’re unhappy with how we’ve handled your information you can refer your concerns to the Director at English Today or, if you are still not satisfied you can complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office, the body that regulates the handling of personal information in the UK, at:
Information Commissioner’s Office Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wimslow, SK9 5AF
Telephone: 0303 123 1113 (local rate) or 01625 545 745 (if you prefer to use a national rate) Website: http://www.ico.org.uk